The Character Sketch exercise is a great way to focus on a character (real or fictional, or a combination of both). Answer the following questions about your character. If you don’t have a character in mind, make up the answers and you will find you have developed one.
1) What is the sex of your character?
2) What is the age of your character?
3) How tall is your character?
4) Is your character skinny, trim, or heavy?
5) What is the character wearing? What is the style of his/her clothes? Are they clean? Or dirty? Torn? Patched?
6) Look at the character’s shoes. What kind are they? Tennis shoes? Boots? Heels? Are they new? Well worn? Polished?
7) Look at the character’s hands? Are they baby soft? Work worn? Dirty? Well-manicured?
8) Is the character wearing a ring? What kind of ring is it?
9) Is the character wearing a watch? On which wrist?
10) Is the character wearing other jewelry? A bracelet? A neckchain? Beads? Earrings?
11) What is the character’s hairstyle like?
12) What is the character’s hair color?
13) What color eyes does the character have?
14) What is the expression in the character’s eyes? Is it sad? Is it happy? Do you see pain?
15) Look at the character’s nose. Is it big? Small? Crooked?
16) And the character’s ears. Are they big? Small? Do they stick out?
17) Now look at the character’s mouth. Is there a smile? A frown? Can you see the character’s teeth? Is there anything about his/her teeth that is noticeable?
18) What is the character’s favorite saying?
19) What is the character’s favorite thing to do?
20) What is this person doing now?